1 orange (needed for zest and curing)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1 fennel bulb, shaved
1 bunch mint, leaves only
1 pound salmon
1 package (3 1/2 oz) dried seaweed, reconstituted according to package
1 English cucumber, very thinly sliced
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
Salt, to taste
White pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon furikake
l. Zest enough of the orange to equal l tablespoon; reserve. Peel the
rest of the orange.
2. ln a small bowl, mix together the sugar, kosher salt and fennel seed.
3. Lay out a piece of plastic wrap. Sprinkle 1/2 of the sugar mixture
on the plastic wrap. Place 1/4 ot the shaved fennel, 1/2 of the orange
peels and 1/2 of the mint leaves on top of the sugar mixture. Place
the salmon, skin side down, on top. Repeat same thing on top of the
salmon. Wrap the fish tightly with plastic wrap. Rewrap with plastic
wrap. Refrigerate overnight to cure.
4. Unwrap the salmon and scrape of the mixture. Slice the tish very
thinly and lay it out on a plate.
5. Toss the seaweed, English cucumber, reserved orange zest, the rest
of the shaved fennel, vinegar, oil, lime juice, and salt and white
pepper, to taste, together in a mixing bowl.
6. Top _he sliced salmon with the salad
Sprinkle wlth furikake. .