Sunday, March 2, 2008
* 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
* 1 cup of sugar
* 1 egg, room temperature
* 1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 ½ large bananas)
* 1 teaspoon of baking soda
* 2 cups of flour
* pinch of salt
* 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
* 1 cup of pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are fine alternatives)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
2 Mix the mashed bananas and baking soda in a bowl and let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise.
3 Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.
4 Fold into the batter the pecans or chocolate chips if using. Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.
Makes about 30 cookies.
Posted by John at 6:41 PM