Thursday, March 20, 2008

pizza dough

Ingredients

    * 2 teaspoons honey
    * 1 packet of dry active yeast
    * 1 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
    * 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    * warm water (I don't know the exact amount but you'll be able to judge)

Dissolve the honey in a large mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of warm water. Add yeast and cover. Let mixture sit for a few minutes, until the mixture is foamy. Add flour and mix completely with the mixture. Now add warm water slowly while mixing. You want to add enough water for the mixture to because a stiff dough. Form the dough into a ball at the bottom of the bowl. Cover it with a towel and put in a warm place to rise for thirty minutes. I usually turn the oven on low and put the bowl on top of the stove.

I don't have pizza pans, but this recipe makes enough dough for me to make two pizzas on cookie sheets. Divide the dough in half and roll each half out to the desired shape and thickness. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or pizza pan or whatever you have. I bake my dough in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes before I put any toppings on it. I do this because I usually have problems with my pizza crust being too doughy if I don't. I also saute my vegetables in a pan with a dab of olive oil before topping my pizza with them. Top your pizza and put it back in the oven. Let it bake for about 30 minutes.

I made pizza this past Sunday and topped it with tomato sauce, spinach, onions, sliced garlic cloves, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes and a sprinkling of feta cheese.

No comments: